This was created from an initial brief. I tweaked my style slightly generally to be more of an illustrative look and had to focus more on a playful theme rather than the dark edge I usually employ.
Using ArtRage and Infinite Painter on various drawing tablets
Part of a big multipart commission I completed. This was created from an initial brief. Firstly I produced some sketches to make sure I was going in the right direction with comments and modifications along the way. I tweaked my style slightly generally to be more of an illustrative look and had to focus more on a playful theme rather than the dark edge I usually employ.
I started this quite a few months back and thought I would revisit now I am catching up on all my unfinished art. Strangely I quite enjoy still art but this time I thought I would play around a little and put in a bit of a sinister twist.
Started in Infinite Painter and I wanted to apply a lot of texture in ArtRage mainly utilising the depth of the Oil Brush to define Jabbas skin. I added a tongue from the original reference and subtly introduced Yoda and Luke into the background. The main enhancement from the reference was adding more of a spotlight on the face and enhancing the saturation.
A portrait of a recently passed cat of my girlfriends parents. This took quite a while to get the proportions and the colouring correct. The final touch of a vignette blur worked pretty well which gave the depth of view and brought the focus to the face. I enhanced the eyes with a sparkle which didn’t exist in the original reference and of course needed to remember to add in the whiskers.
A commission I did for a friend of my girlfriends of their quirky cat, I very much focussed on trying to bring through the personality and enhanced the eyes with a little colour dodge and added some rim light. I decided not to over render this one as I thought the unfinished look worked quite well.
This took me a loooooong time, probably because the subject matter is bother complicated and potentially a bit stale meaning that I had to work extra hard on it. I applied texture layer after texture layer and eventually got to a point I was moderately happy with.
It was Christmas so what better way to celebrate than producing a robin. The idea behind this was to make the style like a christmas card. This one was one of those that came together very quickly in a couple of hours and I quickly decided that it was completed.
Started in InfinitePainter over christmas, the main focus being a warm complimentary colour and the focus of the detail being the chalet, and just popped in a snowman for a bit of fun. The balance between a vignette contrast was key here.
Another started in InfinitePainter, I always quite enjoy the still life art and embellished a little with the writing on the side and tried to make the jar really pop out. It is not always easy to add life to an inanimate object, I think that is probably why I generally prefer portraits.
I don’t often do a full body piece as I prefer to focus on the face so I get a bit caught up in not putting enough detail into the face itself.
I overlaid a texture file created from playing around with GIMP to give the effect of rain and changed up the background from the original reference.
This was actually the second Sanderson sister I completed but set the tone for all three of them.
I went for a more comic book graphical look rather than get too realistic and I think the flatter look of the face worked quite well for this, I then went and retrospectively tweaked the Winnifred portrait to align better with this style as I over sharpened / saturated / contrasted and impastoed the original.
After watching the Queens Gambit, I was inspired, just a straighforward head on shot, which is quite unusual for me and really tried to push the colours and highlights.
I found that softening the edges much enhanced the portrait and gave it a little more of a painterly look.
I am still not quite happy with the hands and also some parts of the face are a little too blurry, but I might sneakily retrospectively come back and amend at some stage.
I wanted a bunny with a bit of an edge, I modified the reference a little to add hair on the head and a slightly scary eye.
A lot of texture in this one and spent quite a while getting the background to fit in to the overall feel. As always almost forgot to put on the whiskers at the end!
Completed pretty much entirely on my Samsung Galaxy Note 8, with just a little tidy up using ArtRage.
I think the desaturated nature of this worked well as did the overlaying of textures in InfinitePainter, it was one of those that came together pretty quickly.